New Jersey Tasigna Multi-county Litigation (MCL), Federal Court Tasigna Multidistrict Litigation (MDL)
In early June 2021, the New Jersey Supreme Court consolidated Tasigna drug injury lawsuits filed against Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. before one judge for pretrial proceedings as part of a New Jersey state court multi-county litigation (MCL). And in July 2021 the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) is expected to hear arguments in support of a request that all Tasigna drug injury lawsuits filed in the U.S. federal court system be consolidated as a Tasigna multidistrict litigation (MDL). All of these Tasigna lawsuits involve alleged Tasigna side effects suffered by patients. These two Tasigna litigations are often referred to, respectively, as the New Jersey Tasigna MCL and the federal court Tasigna MDL.
Tasigna (nilotinib) was approved by the FDA in 2007 for the treatment of adult patients with newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML). Tasigna has been linked to atherosclerosis, which is a disease that results in thickening, hardening, and blocking of the arteries due to the buildup of plaque. In turn, strokes, heart attacks, and lower limbs amputations can be Tasigna side effects as these are serious medical conditions that can result from, or are secondary to, atherosclerosis-related diseases.
In more detail, the following medical conditions are considered to be atherosclerosis-related diseases:
- peripheral arterial disease (PAD) involving lower limbs;
- peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD);
- ischemic heart disease; and
- ischemic cerebrovascular disease.
Strictly Confidential, No Obligation.
As background, in Canada the drug company Novartis Pharmaceuticals has issued stronger warnings about atherosclerosis-related diseases being Tasigna side effects — compared to what is found on the US version of the Tasigna drug label. This situation has given rise to the contention that warnings about Tasigna side effects in the current US drug label are insufficient, or a failure to adequately warn. In turn, Tasigna drug injury lawsuits have been filed against Novartis here in the U.S.
For more, you can read one or both of these two earlier articles about Tasigna side effects from back in 2018:
- Tasigna Side Effects Include Ischemic Cerebrovascular Events, Ischemic Heart Disease, And Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease -- Less Warning About These Atherosclerosis-Related Diseases By Novartis In The US, It Seems, Compared To What Has Been Done By The Drug Company In Canada
- Tasigna And Atherosclerosis-Related Diseases: A Snapshot Of The Medical Literature From Back In April 2013 -- Despite Evidence That Tasigna Accelerates Atherosclerosis, Novartis Does Little To Warn Doctors And Patients In The US
We are currently investigating Tasigna side effects cases as possible Tasigna drug injury lawsuits against Novartis for patients who have developed any of the medical conditions mentioned above during their use of Tasigna.
DrugInjuryLaw.com: Medical & Legal Information About Drug Side Effects (All website content by attorney Tom Lamb)
Drug Injury Case Evaluation - Free. Confidential. No Obligation. (Case review is done by attorney Tom Lamb)