Woman Developed Acute And Severe Loss Of Visual Acuity Following Her Second Beovu Injection
(Posted by Tom Lamb at DrugInjuryWatch.com)
Beovu (brolucizumab) was approved by the FDA in 2019 for the treatment of neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Since then there have been reports of Beovu-associated vision loss and blindness due to occlusive retinal vasculitis, retinal artery occlusion, and intraocular inflammation. For example, we point out a Beovu retinal vasculitis case report that was presented by means of a recent medical journal article.
From the Abstract for this JAMA Ophthalmology medical journal article, "Retinal Vasculitis After Administration of Brolucizumab Resulting in Severe Loss of Visual Acuity" (published online August 6, 2020), we get the following five facts concerning a Beovu retinal vasculitis case report:
- A 77-year-old woman had acute visual acuity loss in her right eye following her second administration of [Beovu (brolucizumab)] for neovascular age-related macular degeneration.
- She had previously been treated with both [Avastin (bevacizumab)] and [Eylea (aflibercept)] since her initial diagnosis in 2018. She had never had any intraocular inflammation with either medication.
- Her baseline visual acuity was 20/50 OD and 20/30 OS.
- She initially noted blurry vision immediately after her injection with [Beovu (brolucizumab)] but believed it would be temporary. She presented to the office 3 weeks later, on her return from a cruise. Her visual acuity was 20/200 OU.
- Her left eye was unremarkable.
Free Case Evaluation
Strictly Confidential, No Obligation.
If you want to learn more about the vision-related safety issues associated with Beovu injections, you may want to review one or more of our earlier Drug Injury Watch articles about Beovu:
- Possible Beovu Side Effects Discussed At American Society of Retina Specialists Annual Meeting In July 2020 (July 28, 2020)
- Beovu Safety Signal Found By External Review Committee Which Evaluated Beovu Post-Marketing Adverse Events (July 1, 2020)
- Beovu Label Change: Warnings About Possible Permanent Vision-Loss Side Effects Added In June 2020 (June 17, 2020)
- Beovu Vision-Related Side Effects Warnings Label Change Request By Novartis: News Report (April 9, 2020)
- Novartis Contends Beovu Safety Should Not Be In Dispute As Current Drug Label Provides Sufficient Warnings (March 4, 2020)
- Beovu Side Effects Include Retinal Vasculitis, Eye Inflammation: Safety Issues For Macular Degeneration Drug (February 27, 2020)
We will continue to monitor the medical literature for reports of retinal vasculitis with Beovu use as well as cases of acute visual acuity loss involving Beovu.
DrugInjuryLaw.com: Medical & Legal Information About Drug Side Effects (All website content by attorney Tom Lamb)
Drug Injury Case Evaluation - Free. Confidential. No Obligation. (Case review is done by attorney Tom Lamb)