Next Bellwether Trial Dates: In New Jersey, One To Three Cases Set For March 2014; And, In Fosamax Federal Court MDL, One Case Set For May 2014
(Posted by Tom Lamb at DrugInjuryWatch.com)
We have an update from Merck on the Fosamax litigation concerning the femur fracture side effect -- not the osteonecrosis of jaw (ONJ) injury -- and it shows that the number of these lawsuits filed against the drug company continues to increase.
From the Merck SEC Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended September 30, 2013 (93 page PDF document):
- ... plaintiffs in approximately 4,115 of these actions generally allege that they sustained femur fractures and/or other bone injuries (“Femur Fractures”) in association with the use of Fosamax.
- ... approximately 1,085 cases were pending in the Fosamax Femur Fracture MDL as of September 30, 2013.
- ... Judge Pisano set a May 5, 2014, trial date for the bellwether trial of a case where the alleged injury took place after January 31, 2011. The case to be tried on May 5, 2014, is expected to be identified in December 2013.
Strictly Confidential, No Obligation.
- As of September 30, 2013, approximately 2,520 cases alleging Femur Fractures have been filed in New Jersey state court and are pending before Judge Higbee in Atlantic County Superior Court.
- The next trial, Unanski v. Merck,... is now set for trial, potentially along with one or two other cases (Love v. Merck and Caravello v. Merck), beginning on March 10, 2014.
- As of September 30, 2013, approximately 495 cases alleging Femur Fractures have been filed in California state court.
Previously, we posted this article: "Fosamax - Femur Fracture Lawsuits Filed Against Merck Said To Total 3,940 As Of June 30, 2013 -- Drug Company Reports 2,660 Cases In New Jersey State Court Consolidation, 1,075 Cases Are Part Of Federal Court MDL, And 470 In California".
We will continue to monitor the Fosamax - femur fracture litigation and report significant developments as they become publicly available.